Consumer FAQs

How do I file a complaint with the Office of Consumer Credit Commissioner?

This department assists consumers who have experienced misrepresentation, fraud, and deceptive practices on the part of the businesses we regulate. Those businesses consist of Texas non-depository lenders: finance companies, pawnshops, home equity lenders, junior lien mortgage lenders, payday lenders, signature loan companies, and retailers who provide financing for their goods (including motor vehicle and manufactured home dealers). We offer a toll-free helpline for consumers to contact us directly with complaints and questions about the businesses licensed or registered with the OCCC. The helpline is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., to provide these services:

  • Enable consumers to get resolution to their complaint or question about an OCCC licensee
  • Provide complete and accurate information about certain credit transactions, helping consumers understand the terms of contracts and their legal rights
  • Notify the consumer protection department of possible non-compliance by one of our licensed lenders

File an online complaint with the OCCC here.

Call the consumer assistance help-line at 800.538.1579 or send an e-mail to

What is the complaint resolution process?

Here is an overview of the complaint resolution process.

How can I check the status of my complaint?

You may contact a Consumer Assistance Representative at 800.538.1579.

Where can I file a complaint regarding a third-party debt collector?

For information on filing a complaint, please see information about consumer legal information.

If I have a complaint about a business that the OCCC does not regulate, which state or federal agency might be able to help me?

There are many entities that may offer assistance for consumer complaints associated with industries not regulated by the OCCC. Agencies that may offer additional assistance include the Federal Trade Commission, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, and the Texas Office of the Attorney General.

Can a lender disclose my personal account information to third parties?

A lender may disclose a consumer's personal financial information to third parties so long as the disclosure complies with the privacy requirements of the Graham-Leach-Bliley Act.

Where can I file a complaint about a credit card surcharge?

On September 1, 2017, enforcement authority for the credit card surcharge prohibition was transferred from the OCCC to the Office of the Attorney General of Texas, as provided by SB 560 (2017), enacted by the Texas Legislature. 

The Office of the Attorney General of Texas is responsible for enforcing both the credit card surcharge prohibition and the debit card surcharge prohibition under Texas law. If you would like to file a complaint about a merchant that is imposing a surcharge for credit or debit card purchases, please contact the Consumer Protection Division at the Attorney General’s office.